Fire ignited at house at Piyargama in Talaimannar, Navy assists its dwellers

A house belonging to a fisherman at Piyargama in Talaimannar caught fire and burnt to ashes as a result of an electric short circuit on 14th September. Even if no family member was harmed by the fire, all their furniture and a large number of fishing gear have been destroyed.

 On receipt of information with regard to the sudden fire, a team of firefighters attached to SLNS Thammanna and a group of naval personnel were rushed to the location to douse the flames. At the time of their arrival the house had succumbed to the fire and the naval firefighters prevented the fire spreading to nearby houses. Subsequently, the naval troops also rendered assistance to clear the place by removing the remains of the burnt house.

 Further, Commander North Central Naval Area, Rear Admiral Muditha Gamage made a visit to the dwellers of the house who faced this unfortunate incident and listened to their grievances. The family members were also presented some ration, clothes and sanitary items by the Navy.